April 6, 2013

My Exploration on Bokeh Photography

I am no artist, but I know beauty when I see it. I am no photographer, but beautiful pictures make me smile. How I wish I know how to paint, or draw, or take an exceptionally beautiful picture. But sadly, as the characters in John Green's The Fault in Our Stars put it, life is not a wish granting factory. We can't just have everything we want. However, that should not prevent us from trying, for it is by trying that we learn which things we are capable of doing, whether we are good at them or not.

My sister lent me her DSLR in exchange for my ipod touch. Though her camera's old, and outdated, for a non-photographer like me, it suffices. I don't take pictures too often, because I feel awkward when I'm aware that people are around as I shoot. When there are events, I don't take out the camera because I know people are watching. This behavior sort of defeats the purpose of having a camera. Aren't you supposed to take pictures of all things, living or non-living?


Anyway, earlier this evening, I was given a chance to play with the camera again. There was something I was itching to try out with it, due to an online photo editor named picmonkey. Lately, I've been using picmonkey a lot to tweak my blog layout. One of picmonkey's textures that can be applied to pictures, is bokeh. I found it interesting, because it makes pictures have tiny cute, some blurry, some clear sparkly circles all over them. I got intrigued and I searched about the bokeh effect.

In my search, I stumbled upon this video, which talks about what bokeh is, and how it is done. Well basically, it says that bokeh means blur, and to do it, you have to understand the words aperture, depth of field, etc. I'm no expert on those things, so, I'll just give you a link to the tutorial so that you can learn them from Chris Bay - someone who actually knows what he's talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBjoonaWQAA.

So, I waited for the sun to set, when skies turn dark, and the street lights turn on. Good thing my aunt's house has a viewing deck. I did not have a hard time trying to have a view of the neighborhood lights.

Here's one of my first shots:



Then, I found more lights!


Then I did an experiment, with eeyore and black and white.

Among the pictures that I took, these are the nicest, and I have no more nice pictures to show. Next time, I'll do more experiments and I hope I'll get better pictures!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...